Monday, January 12, 2009

How I do it

Some friends of mine commented, asking "how I do it" (referring to all the activities and this blog). Work hard, play hard. And my journal and my lists.

Work hard--no posts here from April until the holidays. But, I do keep that journal--a very simple one, it only takes a couple minutes a day. During the holidays, I looked over it and started writing. Play hard--take some dedicated time to do these blog posts.

The cool thing about reading over my journal, by remembering what was happening, is that it reminds me of the feelings during all those activities. And looking over the journal (looking at the past) allows me to recap and then get to thinking about my goals and project lists (the future). By taking just a couple minutes to review those lists once or twice a week, it reminds me of the things I have in mind. By reviewing them frequently and making little adjustments to the priorities, it helps me "tune" my priorities to focus on the important ones that important over time (as opposed to those that seem important one day, but aren't really in the long run).

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Martin works as an Application Developer and Technical Lead at a large manufacturing company in the Phoenix valley. In that role, he writes and maintains a quality application that checks the quality of the materials used in the manufacturing process. He has a variety of programming skills in various web, batch processing, and database languages. He has been developing computer applications professionally at five companies since graduating with his Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems from DeVry in 1985. He has additional professional interests. He participates in a variety of safety teams as an office ergonomics assessor, emergency response team leader, and safety communications. He also teaches classes about agile thinking and database unit testing. Outside of work, he occasionally teaches and performs as a middle eastern drummer, lift weights, and spends time with his wife and two daughters. He's an avid supporter of the U.S. Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment, a National Rifle Association (NRA) life member, certified NRA instructor for five NRA classes, shooting range life member, Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL) member and volunteer, and runs 2nd Amendment Shop, L.L.C.