Sunday, September 9, 2007

A quiet weekend

It's been a weekend without responsibilities, and I've had fun doing not much of anything. Except that my "not much of anything" is actually a lot of stuff, it's just that it's stuff I choose to do. :) Movies, computer playing, exercise, hanging out with friends a couple of times--yeah, I nice weekend.

A really long time ago (9, 12 months, so long I can't really remember), a Microsoft patch killed my computer. Wouldn't even boot. I've been sorta messing with it for month, but this weekend I finished rebuilding it completely so that the kids can use it, including getting the cool sound system and high-res monitor working like they are supposed to, the network working again, the music applications reinstalled and working, and the music copied over from the other machine. And as is so typical for me, I made improvements to the music applications on both of the computers--I configured things so that I can move the music and playlists back and forth between machines, even though the location of the music on one machine is different than the other. :) (Yeah, there are times when I enjoy knowing how things work and how to make things go the way *I* want them to; okay, the term is "nerd"!)

We're talking a complete catch-up on the mundanities of life, too: rotating the mattress, washing the mattress pad and comforters. It's weird, but it actually feels very relaxing and de-stressing to have all this stuff done. It really is like a mini mental vacation!

I even had a relaxing enough time that I went and hung out at a bar down the street with a bunch of friends. I don't recall the last time I just went out and actually did *nothing* but relax. A friend and I went out to lunch, and using crayons at the steak play, we designed a cool firepit for camping. We've got a lot of people in our group that want to make them, so if we get the design right, we might go into (a small version of) mass production.
Okay, so I pretty well nuked my sleep schedule along the way; it was 12:30 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. each night dinking around with things. But--I was having *fun*! It felt again like the days when I was a kid and playing on the computer until all hours of the morning.

Sunday felt like the first totally, completely down day since my sabbatical in 2001, but at the time I was fried from work. This time it was just relaxing. Watched a couple of movies, but basically did nothing. I even started getting a bit antsy at the end of the day to get into something, so the weekend was just the right amount of time of not doing much.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Martin works as an Application Developer and Technical Lead at a large manufacturing company in the Phoenix valley. In that role, he writes and maintains a quality application that checks the quality of the materials used in the manufacturing process. He has a variety of programming skills in various web, batch processing, and database languages. He has been developing computer applications professionally at five companies since graduating with his Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems from DeVry in 1985. He has additional professional interests. He participates in a variety of safety teams as an office ergonomics assessor, emergency response team leader, and safety communications. He also teaches classes about agile thinking and database unit testing. Outside of work, he occasionally teaches and performs as a middle eastern drummer, lift weights, and spends time with his wife and two daughters. He's an avid supporter of the U.S. Bill of Rights 2nd Amendment, a National Rifle Association (NRA) life member, certified NRA instructor for five NRA classes, shooting range life member, Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL) member and volunteer, and runs 2nd Amendment Shop, L.L.C.